Monday 5 November 2012

[Commission] Solrac Ventures

Youtube is the home to the weirdest and wonderful people on the internet, and Solrac is one of those weird but wonderful people. A month or so ago Anthony Price came to me asking for help in a commission he's doing, naturally I said I would help him out. He wanted me to create the backgrounds for the animation he's been asked to create, a My Little Pony short parody featuring an internet voice actor known as Solrac.

I began practicing with the actual style of the show, so I drew a forest. The show uses incredibly simple shapes and such to create tree's and other forest objects, and the colours are just gradients, so after about an hour or 2 I produced a forest from the show:


Anthony was really happy with how it turned out, eventually he told me the first background he wanted me to create, the inside of a house. Though I have watched the show, I have never really payed attention to the interior of any of the houses, so research pursued! I came back with a few references for the interior, almost all of them were made by fans so weren't official, however they would have to do:










After a bit of research I began drawing the interior for the house, it turned out okay, however it was empty. So I began inserting tables, drawers, lamps and other various stuff. Anthony told me that the house belonged to a Pony called Vinyl Scratch, a DJ pony, so I had to make sure the house fitted a DJ, so I did so by adding decks, speakers and vinyls around the house. Here is how it turned out:


Anthony was thrilled with how it turned out, and so I began to work on the second thing he requested, the exterior of the house. Now I had to keep a few things in mind here; I had to make sure the exterior fitted the interior, so I wouldn't have 2 windows on the exterior and 3 on the interior and such, the other thing I had to keep in mind was that this house is for a DJ, so it has to fit her personality.

I tried out a few houses, but I just couldn't get the house to look right, after talking to Anthony he gave me the advise to "use her actual house as an example", since Vinyl Scratch isn't an official pony, I had to resort to the next best thing, a parody of the show:


After gandering at the house I got a good idea at what I should draw, after a few hours I got the house down, took the forest background from before and made it fit into the landscape, and then surely enough it was finished:


The main backgrounds I was told to create were finished, after that he told me to draw him a few things like a Display case and an Aquarium, and eventually the animation was completed. The animation was played infront of an audience at the Bronycon; Equestria LA, and was well received! Below is the finished animation:



Below is the panel at Equestria LA where the animation was premiered, the animation is shown 17 minutes in:


I was really happy that I got to do this, as it not only widens my experience and drawing styles, but it also gets my name out there! I am incredibly happy with how the backgrounds turned out and would be more than happy to work again on a project like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment