Friday 18 May 2012

[Personal] Inspiration and Animators

As with any animator, I have a wide variety of people that influence my work, however when it comes to drawing I have a different inspiration than animating. By this I mean, when I animate, I have an animator who i aim to be like or better than, however when I draw there is a drawing style I like and try to add to my own. Animation wise, I aim to be better than Max Gilardi and the late Edd Gould. Both of their styles are different but use models in flash to animate, similar to how I like to animate, however there are is still alot of keyframing in the animations that they produce.

Gould uses model animation in flash, however mixes in keyframing nicely. This is something I hope to be able to achieve by the end of Uni, also the lipsyncing is really nicely done, something I hope to achieve sooner rather than by the end of Uni. Below is an example of his work:

Gilardi also uses model animation and mixes in keyframing, however with Gilardi you can see the model animation is more noticeable, especially when there is little movement such as leaning back, or turning around. However there is keyframing when in the walkcycle and places where it is really necessary. Below is an example of his work:

Drawing wise I also have two artists I aim to be as good as or have a add their style to my own, these would be Bryan Lee O'Malley and Atsushi Nishigori. Both have different styles, however are similar in some places. I have been inspired by O'malley for a while now and have adapted his drawing style to my own nicely, however I still need to improve from having a style similar to mine and using his style to create my own. This is where Nishigori comes in, I have only recently found this character designer and have found his style rather unique in a sense, though he is an anime artist his drawing style is unique and I have yet to see an anime with a style similar.

Nishigori has been a character designer for a while, helping in the production of a few series such as Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt , two of my personal favourite animes. The drawing styles in there two are amazing, Gurren Lagann has some amazing visuals that I could only dream to make. However Panty and Stocking has one of the most unique drawing styles for an anime I have seen. Both these two animes have incredibly different drawing styles, however the drawing style I want to master the most and put it with my own is the Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt style. Below is an example of his work:


O'Malley however isn't in the animation industry, he's in the comic industry. His drawing style is something I have loved from when I read one of his comics, Scott Pilgrim. His drawing style is simple, yet effective and gives the characters he draws their own personality, this is something I hope to get better at. Even the humor he has is something I am inspired by, it is mostly pop culture referenced which gives it a unique feel, rather than slapstick humor. Below is an example of his work:


No comments:

Post a Comment